1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Week old chick with leg injury! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista22, May 28, 2016.

1. krista22

krista22 New Egg

May 23, 2016
    I have had my 5 chicks since the day they hatched on the 22nd of this month. Mumble (named him after happy feet penguin) has always been different from the other chicks. Mumble has had a problem with his/her leg since I brought them home. I had to remove we will just say him from the others because he was always getting walked all over and pushed around. He looks like he is doing a split half of the time and I'm not sure if he was born like this or if it happened before I got him but like I said I got him a couple hours after he hatched. I took a video and sent it to a friend who also has chickens to get his advice and I'll post it on here to see if anyone else has input. Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chicks should be on a non-slip floor or bedding to help them walk. The chick could have splay leg, or possibly a slipped tendon. I would get some vet wrap, and cut it into 1/2 inch strips. Or you can use a bandaid cut in half lengthways. Wrap the legs to where they are about an inch apart, dont get the hobble too tight. This will need to be on for 4-5 days, or replace it when needed. I will send you a link in a few minutes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by