Week old chick with possible tumor? Very lethargic, won't open eyes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RenegadeJane, Apr 1, 2017.

1. RenegadeJane

RenegadeJane New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Got our first chicks last Tuesday. They were born Monday via Cackle hatchery. Got 20 total, a few varieties. I had gotten extras cause I expected a few screw ups, but thought I had been doing pretty well up to this point. . .

I noticed this evening one of my Australorps was behaving kinda lethargic. I picked her up and unlike the other chicks who get all fussy about being touched and held, this one didn't fight back at all. I realized her eyes were closed so clearly seemed lethargic. Took it upstairs form the basement to get a better view and that's when I finally noticed this. . tumor? goiter? I'm not sure. It's red in spots, perhaps from others pecking at her. Not sure what to do or if there is anything to do. Is this little thing a goner? Please help a newbie!

She does move around a bit, but she never opens her eyes. If I set her down she wobbles a bit but just kinda stands there. All chicks were vaccinated, they are on unmedicated feed. I've been spiking their water with ACV and garlic. All others seem fine. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

What does the lump feel like?
    Is she breathing well?

It does look like she may have been pecked. Try to encourage her to stay hydrated and offer wet chick starter.

3. RenegadeJane

RenegadeJane New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Kinda. . doughy? I suppose. I'ts a pretty big lump, she looks kinda lopsided when standing.

She appears to be breathing just fine.

Could this be an impacted crop perhaps?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo of her standing by herself? (Front and side view)

Is she pooping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by