Week Old Chicks Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coocooclueless, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Coocooclueless

Coocooclueless New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    I received my chicks last week, & they have been going great since then. However, 5 arrived with no feathers on their necks but seemed normal. Last night, all was good, but this morning, one was dragging her right leg. She could move it at all the joints & her toes were fine. It didn't seem paralyzed, just not working right. I segregated her with another chick for company to keep her from getting stepped on. She was eating & drinking but slept A LOT. This evening, she had died. Now another chick (not the one that was with her) is showing the same signs. They are building a new barn close to the coop where the brooder is & there has been a lot of noise. Also, 2 days ago, the construction crew cut power to the coop without telling anyone. When I went to do my check, the temperature had dropped to 55 degrees!! This is my first ever experience with chickens & was wondering if the problems I'm seeing could be from stress or a disaster looming for the flock. I have 13 Orpingtons & 10 Wyandottes. Thank you for any & all information.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome to byc! :welcome I'm sorry to hear about your chicks :/ I have had the same problem I would suggest electrolytes in their water. They may be smothering one another. Sometimes when they get to cold they try to warm up and get smothered or if they have been under another one for too long it causes that. When the lights aren't working, you could put a thick blanket over the brooder to hold in all heat. Hope this helps ;)

Taylor :jumpy

3. Coocooclueless

Coocooclueless New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Thank you. They are in a large metal water trough with 2 heat lamps & a thermometer. The only time they got cold was when the construction crew cut the power but that was 2 days ago. They seemed fine between then & now. They tend to sleep next to each other on the far reaches of the lamp with plenty of room to get further away or closer to the lamps. I just did the last night check & the puny one gets from one end of the trough to the other to eat & drink. She seems very alert but can't seem to get her foot up under her every time. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the others & see if I notice anything. Hopefully, she'll still be with us in the morning. Again, thank you.

4. chickengirl1230

I wish you luck, keep me posted!

5. chickengirl1230

I have 8 heat lamps on mine and they are still getting a little cold:/

6. Coocooclueless

Coocooclueless New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    The brooder is staying at least 90 degrees 24 hours. The chick seems to be doing a little better today & is eating & drinking & moving around. Will see how it goes. Thank you everyone for your input.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How big is your brooder?

8. chickengirl1230

I have two brooders and that's how many I have on them. I have a 1 1/2x3ft and a 2x3 1/2 inside a 8x8 little barn

9. Coocooclueless

Coocooclueless New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    So far, so good. No sign of the other chicks having problems & this one seems to be doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by