Week old chicks. It's the end of the world, right?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
I know it's not.
A week old today BO's. I have them in a playpen with some straw, next to the wood stove.
Yes, plenty of water and food. They got the vacs from the murray folks, so they are on unmedicated starter.
I monitor the temps all day. It's warm on one side, cooler on the other.
I watch to see if they crowd one way or the other, and try to adjust things so that they're just roaming around freely and happily.
I usually get my birds at a few months old.

I've done some reading here, and every answer seems like someone else's stab in the dark.

Most all of these peepers have the poopy butt going on.
Yes, warm water, and a firm scrubbing with a large wire brush gets it off.*

My question, is this an everyday thing with chicks, or do I need to change up their diet or something?

* (Just kidding. I'm using a q-tip.)

You forgot to post pix of your chicks and the Skill Grinder you are using. Is it poopy butt or pasted butt. There is a difference. Is the vent being clogged or is there just soiling below the vent???

My question, is this an everyday thing with chicks, or do I need to change up their diet or something?

* (Just kidding. I'm using a q-tip.)
NO, I have 100's of chicks at times and do not have a lot of poop/pasty butts----a few some times. What is the average temp on the warm end of their brooder and the cooler?

Last edited:
Joe, I've counseled you about your drinking before - no drinking while tending the chicks.

The warm side of the play pen should be no warmer than 80-85F going into their second week. The cool side of the brooder needs to be twenty to thirty degrees cooler. If you're heating the chicks with the wood stove, I'd back off on the logs. If the room is around 75F, that's plenty warm for the chicks.

Pasty butt usually isn't a problem after the first week. If you still are getting chicks with gummed up vents, they may be too warm. If their poop is on the runny side, that's further indication you have them too warm.

You forgot to post pix of your chicks and the Skill Grinder you are using. Is it poopy butt or pasted butt. There is a difference. Is the vent being clogged or is there just soiling below the vent???
Well, I can post pics if ya'll like. But mostly they'll look like chicks with poop on heir butts.
I don't have a proper grinder, so I'm just using the wire brush that I use outside for my grill.

Poopy butt, or pasted butt? I'd say it looks like poop what might have been pasted on.

Fortunately, being how women seem to have built in yuk tolerances for poop and vomit, my good lady is cleaning the birds. Please notice how I didn't say my good cleaning lady.
She said the vents were about cemented shut, but there was no corn or peanuts or anything.
It's like a pinky finger nail size, with feathers being glued in as well.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that's some serious PB. I know I sound like a broken record, but here goes. My needle keeps getting stuck. Fermented feed gives them a good gut full of probiotics. Does a great job clearing up all issues with chick digestion. Give them a plug of sod from your (untreated) lawn. It will give them: first grit, minerals, first greens, first insects and seeds, perhaps a few worms, and a healthy dose of beneficial bacteria and fungi which will also populate their guts with good organisms. Sod with all the goodies in it will help with the PB. You can also use some olive or coconut oil to grease up their vents after they get cleaned. It will help the poo to slide off without sticking as bad. You might want to rinse off that steel brush before using it on the BBQ next time.

Back
Top Bottom