Week Old Chicks with Bloody Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bnl129, Apr 5, 2017.

1. bnl129

bnl129 Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    So 2 Sunday's ago I purchased 6 chicks and 2 ducks from the local feed store. The ducks lived with the chicks until Sunday when I started noticing bloody stool. The chicks are acting fairly happy and healthy but their feathers look horrible and there poo is still bloody. They are eating and drinking so I'm confused on what this could be. I ordered Corid and it is coming in today. I figured I'd play it safe but I just find it odd that it's day 4 of noticing the bloody poop and they are eating and drinking and nosy as ever.
    Any ideas?
    PS. The chicks haven't gotten much bigger but the ducks are growing like a weed.
    Thanks
    Brittany

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Cocci is not that common in such young chicks, but I would go ahead and treat them anyway for 5-7 days. Corid dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water as their only water source, changed daily. After completing the Corid, I would put a small amount of plain yogurt in the feed daily for another week. Vitamins in the water then for a few days would be good. Keep the bedding clean and dry as possible. Since they are so young, you may want to give them a second treatment at a lower dose after a few weeks. The dosage for that is 1/3 tsp of powder or 1/2 tsp of liquid per gallon for 5 days. Let us know how they do. Here is a bit to read on coccidiosis:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by