1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlittlesmomma, May 11, 2009.

1. chickenlittlesmomma

chickenlittlesmomma New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Hi Everyone [​IMG]

We are the proud owners of week old baby chicks. They are doing wonderfully in their pen/brooder. I was curious, at what age can they have fresh grasses?

2. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    [​IMG] from VT!

You could give them a handful of grass and enjoy the entertainment. Be sure to give them grit too to aid with their digestion.

3. chickenlittlesmomma

chickenlittlesmomma New Egg

May 11, 2009
    SUPER [​IMG] Thank you so much. I am having a blast reading the other posts and looking at the brooders.

We started out with the rubbermade tub idea...that lasted about 2 hours before we decided that it would be better for them to have ample room so we used an old dog pen and put cardboard around the bottom.

I see a LOT of folks here using shavings. We, and when I say we, I mean DH and I, were told that shavings can be dangerous and to just use newspaper. I have quite the sensitive nose and I can tell I will have to buy stock in newspapers if I continue with them. Shavings are safe?

Boy am I glad I found this website YAHOOOOOOOOO [​IMG]

4. Cape Cod Chick

Cape Cod Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Cape Cod
    We have week old chicks too, but we've been using pine shavings because that's what they told us to do at the feed store. Are shavings unsafe???

These are our first chicks and I'm watching them as closely as I did my real babies. One of them has a little tuft of feathers on his neck and the area looks red. Earlier I saw another one of the chicks going after that tuft of hair. What should I do?

5. chickgirl17

chickgirl17 New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    grass is fun for them to play with. i also use Kix ceral and mine like corn (on the cob is more fun for them)
    good luck with the chickens;)

6. Cape Cod Chick

May 11, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I've been putting a clump of clover with roots and dirt still attached into the coop every morning and those chicks just go crazy, scratching and pecking. They ignore the green stuff and have a ball with the dirt and roots. I'm hoping that will keep them from getting bored.

Corn on the cob is a great idea. Can they eat it this young?

7. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    The first week I use paper towels in the brooder, then switch to pine shavings. Don't use newspaper because it is slippery and will cause them to have leg problems(spraddle leg). Good luck and [​IMG]!!

8. Cape Cod Chick

May 11, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Thank you so much for the advice. We actually did put newspapers under the pine shavings for easy clean up, but I certainly don't want my girls to have leg problems.

This forum is SO helpful to new chicken owners!!!

9. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I was thinking about using puppy pads for the first week. Anyone have any trouble (or experience) using those?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by