Week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jackie B, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Jackie B

Jackie B New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    Hi,

I am new to incubating and raising chicks, our new chicks are only a week old and we have noticed that one of them has dung stuck to its bottom, its now about the size of a pea, we have tried removing it without much success, what can we do to help get it off?

2. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Soak its bum in warm water.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You can try using a warm damp cloth to get it off. Don't get her too wet, you don't want her to catch a chill.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hold the chick, butt first, under a stream of tepid (not scalding hot, but not cold) water, under the faucet. It will take a few moments for the stream of warm to soften the clod. Crumble the clod of poop off. It'll work.

Use a little olive oil or vasoline to grease up the rear end and help with future sticking issues. Cleaning the rear end is essential, as the chick soon cannot evacuate it's bowel and this situation can cause death.

5. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    try dampening a wash cloth in vinegar. Then gently moisten the poo. It has an illness called pasty butt. You can prevent that by mixing in yogurt into their feed. They get pasty butt because when they are little, they peck at there moms poo, which has a type of bacteria that helps the poo become suitable for coming out. If it gets bigger, it closes the vent and it cant poop, if it cant poop, it can die. in the yogurt is the good bacteria.

6. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Similar but different, is it bad for a week old chicks poop to be runny?

7. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    nope. Its perfectly normal

8. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    is it diarrhea? if it is, it just means that its being stressed out or hurt in a very small way

9. DroolBubbles

DroolBubbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    i dont think it's diarrhea it is just runny little poops every so often.

10. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Try giving it electrolytes in the water "Save-a-chick" is a packet you can get at the farm store and mix with water. It helps with stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by