1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Week Old 'Down' Missing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Mar 30, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I noticed that there is an area a little smaller than a dime where the down is missing on the back/nape of one of my chicks neck. I watched them all for a bit last night and am not seeing any bullying going on...
    Is it common to sometimes have a chick get some of her down pecked/eaten by others? Will this affect the feather growth in this area? If it continues, what can I do?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    sometimes they get weird bald patches as their real feathers come in, how old are they?

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Almost 2 weeks... this has gotten worse and I have witnessed some of the others pecking/picking at the area. I have separated her with another one for company. I'll probably wait until feathers come in in that are before putting back in with the others.
    Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by