WEEK OLD GOSLING WITH SWOLLEN BUM

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlliNewhook, May 19, 2019.

1. AlliNewhook

AlliNewhook Hatching

May 19, 2019
    I have a week old gosling that I picked up two days ago. All was well at first but last night when we came home she was on her back unable to get up. When I picked her up her bum was swollen and hard. I put her in a warm bath and attempted to gently manipulate her stomach to try to get something to pass. When rubbing from the stomach down to the vent a very small amount of beige liquid came out. This morning she is still swollen and does not look very alert. I've tried a warm bath again but nothing is coming out.
    Any suggestions?! When I look up gosling with swollen bum online I get copious amounts of photos of Ryan Gosling....

2. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Crowing

Feb 27, 2016
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Got a little chuckle out of your Ryan Gosling problem!
    I do not know much about geese or waterfowl...I’ve mostly just had guineafowl, but your post made me wonder if your gosling had omphalitis (yolk sac infection). Ive attached a link to a BYC article about it below. Perhaps you can look at the description and pictures to see if resembles your gosling’s problem. I hope that someone more familiar with geese will weigh in and that it is nothing too serious. Good luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

3. AlliNewhook

AlliNewhook Hatching

May 19, 2019

That looks like exactly what it was... sadly we lost her a few hours after I posted ☹️
    This is such a hard life style choice sometimes!
    Thanks for the reply though! I know know what to look for with my own incubated eggs. I had never heard of this before so I'll definitely be keeping a look out for it from now on as well as checking any babies that I'm purchasing!

4. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Crowing

Feb 27, 2016
    Florida Gulf Coast
    So sorry for your loss! :hugs Thanks for letting me know.
    It never gets any easier, no matter how long you do it, at least it has not for me. Losses are always so hard! You just have to celebrate the joy they bring and hope it outweighs the losses that come with it. Good luck with your upcoming babies...I hope things go better for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: