week old peeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chad s, Apr 13, 2011.

1. chad s

chad s Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Can I give our baby peeps that are about 1 1/2 weeks old any kind of treat? I have freeze dried meal worms for the blue birds that I rehydrate. Can they have them?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You can but give them a bit of grit first. You can use just plain old sand. Mine loved it when I mixed sand with quick cooking oats.

3. chad s

Apr 11, 2011
    Cooked oats or just raw? How much sand?

4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    just raw. Doesn't matter how much sand really, I did about 50/50 but they'll eat it, roll in it, kick it all over, whatever but won't get "too much" in them.

5. chad s

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks. Sorry about the dumb questions. I grew up on a farm but we never had chickens. I know very little about their care. Now if it were steers or hogs I would be good. I'msure there will be more questions.

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    the treats my little girls love the most is just plain ole earthworms and any bug that gets in their brooder i've tried yogurt and they won't touch it now my big girls(6 weeks old) will eat a worm but are too much on treat other than the little bit of bird seed i put in their brooder a couple of times a week and it's only a small handful at a time

7. chad s

Apr 11, 2011
    So at a week and a half it is ok to give thenm some treats and a little grit? I would guess if they were running around outside with mom, they would be picking up all kinds of stuff. Just a little worried about giving them something other than medicated feed.

8. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I understand your worry, but as long as the treats don't make up more than a small percent of their total food, it's fine. And it's fun! Usually they are a little hesitant about anything new but once they realize you are giving them a Yummy they are hilarious.

9. chad s

Apr 11, 2011
    Ok thanks. I'll try 2 or 3 dried meal worms rehydrated and cut up into pieces. Also, they have been jumping/fly up on the water and food feeders. Should I build them a low perch to sit on?

10. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Don't see why not. Many people build little low perches for them, only a couple of inches high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by