Week old Pekin Duckling not standing up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GreeneAcresFarm, Apr 28, 2011.

1. GreeneAcresFarm

GreeneAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Hello,

We have 4 Pekin ducklings. They are a little over a week old. Three of them stand up and run around but one won't stand up? It just kind of wobbles around without
    extending its legs? Any help would be appreciated. I am researching but figured a post would be quicker. Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Try a BYC search on slipped tendon. Duckyfromoz has dealt with that. Can the duckling move its legs in water just above the tops of its legs? That might indicate weakness, instead of stiffness. Can you make a video or take pictures?

Do you have poultry vitamins? That might help.

3. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    I have been searching the site but most of them don't sound like the same thing as mine. My other three are fine and I just noticed this yesterday with the one. It will not extend its legs to stand up. It wobbles around the brooder without ever standing up. I will check on some vitamins. Any specific ones? I have not tried to put it in water yet but will try today. I just hate that I don't know what to do to help it. Any other opinions? Thanks

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Can you check the hocks? A normal one looks like this

[​IMG]

Check for swelling- you can also compare them to the ones on the other ducklings.

What are you feeding them? It could be something diet related if the tendons and hock joints are ok.

5. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    Looks like the picture and the others. Maybe just a bit larger than the others. I put it in a couple inches of water this morning and it would stretch the legs out but not really swim like the others. I just left for an hour and came back and a different one was dead:( The other two are fine?

They are in a brooder with pine shavings and feeding them 22% gamebird starter/grower crumbles feed the farm store recommended. I have seen some threads where others are mixing with Chick starter and though about that. I have had them one week today.

6. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I have noticed ALOT of people lately who have had birds die say they have some type of wood bedding. I am starting to think maybe this is a reason. I know mine eat ANYTHING loose in their pen, including wet newspaper (I put it under the towel to keep the box dry), so I wouldnt doubt the birdie deaths are related to the eating of wood shavings....

I dont know about the leg issue...sorry :-(

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Very unlikely either case is to do with the pine bedding. Where did the ducklings come from? Did you hatch them yourself from your own or bought eggs- or did they come from a TSC or hatchery? Ducklings can often appear normal at hatching but after a few days show symptoms of issues.

8. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    They are from Orshlen's Farm Store. It may not be anything we have done or not done but we feel bad when we are not sure what is going on.

Should I get some vitamins? If so what and is it available local like TSC, Rural King, Orschlen, ect.

Thanks

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What are you feeding them? Niacin deficiencies present with leg weakness, that's what I would assume your problem is. Get some brewer's yeast powder or tablets and add some to their feed.

10. GreeneAcresFarm

Mar 8, 2011
    i will do that. How much do you mix with their food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by