Week old sick chick...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sara9, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Hey looking for some help, we just six chicks, mixed breed from our hens. first few days they were all really good and healthy, all eating but on the fifth day i noticed one laying down with no strength. Her symptoms of whatever is ailing her include
    Closed eyse, only opening brifely when startled,
    Very weak, no energy, sits weird, lays on her side,
    Won't eat food, is sort of drinking when we put her beak in water
    Panting/ short heavy breathing
    When I give her water she seems to cough it up, and 'click' her beak open and closed while panting trying to get the water up.

When I asked a friend who is a vet she said maybe her gullet wasn't working right and she probably won't live much longer, and their isn't much else to do, but I don't want to give up.

My guess is it isn't a disease she has that will spread, none of the others are like her.
    But since she seemed fine at first I don't know if it was something she was born with.
    I also don't think It is a heat problem, she was closer the heat light and farther from it and nothing changed.

We have been giving her water with honey in it and a little bit of a home made electrolyte mix witch helped in the first few hours because she started opening her eyes which she wasn't doing at all first, and she could hold her self up slightly more, but since then their she been no more progression.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is making her sick. What else can I do?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It may be that she never really learned to eat, and so became weaker because of that. Or, maybe the other chicks were pushing her away from the food or the water.

Coccidiosis is another possibility. It causes lethargy, sleepiness, lack of appetite, bloody diarrhea, and death. Coccidiosis mainly affects birds two weeks old or older, but it may be the cause. Treat with Corid 9.6% liquid at the rate of a 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for five days.

Or, it may be that she is simply "failing to thrive". Something may be internally wrong with her. Some birds just never thrive, and she may be one of them.

I am sorry for your predicament. I too have had a bird not thrive, and he unfortunately died. I hope that your birds survives! Good luck, and keep us updated!

3. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks so much! I'm guessing it's probably not Coccidiosis, since these little guys are living in a 'pretty clean' bathtub with paper towel so don't know how they would have gotten it, but I'm guessing she is just 'failing to thrive'. Somewhere someone posted to feed egg whites so maybe i will try that to get some 'food' into her, i think trying to get her to eat 'feed' may just cause her to choke........we will see how this goes, do you think it will work/help?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I would try to feed her scrambled egg, but you can also give her applesauce and yogurt. My chicks like moistened chick feed as well, so that may entice her into eating. If you have them (or can get some), probiotics and electrolytes that you can mix into the water aren't bad ideas either. Keep her warm, hydrated, and well fed, and hopefully, she will recover.[​IMG]

5. Sara9

Sara9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks so much for your help, but sadly she passed yesterday morning :( I wish I knew what was wrong, but the best I can guess is nature has it's ways, and she wasn't meant to survive. Maybe an internal issue. I wish I could have done more :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by