1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Week Old Silkie Chick Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SCMAC, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SCMAC

SCMAC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    I'm new to the to raising chicks thing but I am a little worried about the size of my Silkies. They are the same age and received them from McMurray but their size is way different I have posted a picture of the black and the white to let you see what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm just worried since I lost the complete first order on arrival this is my second and I have thirteen left the others out 27 were DOA at the PO. Thanks for your help.

2. Herechickychick

Herechickychick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi I have never owned silkies before but I wouldnt worry because some will eventually turn out to be huge rosters and some will eventually be tiny hens, unless of course you ordered all hens, then i might be worried. But I doubt its a "problem."[​IMG]

By the way, what does DOA stand for, I know it means dead but....

3. SCMAC

SCMAC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    D=Dead O=On A=Arrival term we use in the medical field a lot. Thanks it just had me worried.

4. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    i have a weekold silkie my hen incubated which is about the same size as the black one.. so id say its normal. cause i was worrying too.
    eiter we've got two runts, or its normal. ha

5. SCMAC

SCMAC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    All five of my black silkies are the same size and the whites are the same size. After thinking about it I think my whites area a little older than the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by