Week Old Silkie With Wry Neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newtochicks4, Mar 24, 2017.

1. newtochicks4

newtochicks4 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    About 5 days ago I got 4 chicks: 1 Silkie, 1 Barnvelder, and 2 Polish. The Silkie and Barnvelder were the same size so I put them together; however, the Polish were much bigger so I made them separate brooders. Everything was great until today. When I got up to check on everyone, I noticed that it was dragging its head on the ground and it was at almost a 180 degree angle.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Silkie after a long day of being pampered and having me keep its head up.

So we looked up what to do and got vitamin E supplements and put some basil and spinach in its food mixed with a bit of olive oil and I know its only been a day and I cant be expecting any improvement that quick, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help keep its neck up a little and give it some more comfort? Sadly, we lost the Barnvelder today. It seemed to have breathing problems since we got it so it did not come as a total surprise. I am thinking about putting one of my brothers very calm chicks(Same size if not a bit smaller) in with the Silkie just so it has a friend and will stop chirping and driving everyone insane. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How is your chick doing?

It sound like you are doing everything you can for her. Keep her hydrated and add some poultry vitamins to her water (this is in addition to the Vitamin E). You may also want to give her some chopped egg for Selenium. See that she has some chick grit free choice to process anything besides chick starter.

You may want to see if you can construct a chick chair for her to place her in for short periods of time. This may help her keep her legs mobile and keep her in an upright position.

Let us know how she's doing.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/963065/chick-chair-broken-leg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by