Weekend sleepover Haiti discussion for friend in Haiti

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by geebs, Jan 15, 2010.

1. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    This thread is an opportunity to share stories and prayers for our chicken loving friends is Haiti.
    I personally have two friends trapped in Grand Goave and know there are ppl on this forum that also have loved ones affected.
    surely there are chickens in Haiti.. [​IMG] My friends have 6 black star hens... They were due to fly out today... they won't [​IMG]

Please post this thread and keep them (all of our loved ones) in our thoughts.

2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Every time I turn on the news my heart breaks. [​IMG]

I have also wondered about chickens in Haiti as well as other animals. I haven't seen anything but debris and humanity on the news footage...you'd think there would at least be some dogs running around or something. I actually thought it was kind of strange that there were no stray animals running about, unless they eat them there? (We have friends who used to live in Peru and he claims they regularly eat cats there, so you never know I guess.)

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

praying for your friends geebs, i hope they are doing ok now [​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    As I understand it, there's no way to get food in easily, frankly if it was watch my kids go hungry or fido... well meat is meat in times like that.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    what from what i have heard on the news there is a bottle neck of Aid trying to come in but there is so much damage that it is hard to find a safe place to land and off load. I was talking to one of the paramedics and he was flying down with a search and rescue team leaving this morning in a Canadian air force plane. one of the questions asked by the team leader was if he had any repelling or parachute training "in case"

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't understand why they haven't just air dropped water and food.........

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    pips&peeps :

Me neither. [​IMG] People are starving, just drop it down, they will get to it.​

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    pips&peeps :

from what i understand they dont want to do this because the food storage are being broken in to.

if you have all those hungry people it may cause mass riots or
    I dont know what the political situation is but if there are armed militants maybe they will hold the food for "ransom" and the armed will get it all the ones in need will starve... but the last 2 are just guesses​

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    pips&peeps :

i know... [​IMG]

10. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    They were just talking about food drops on CNN. Apparently the main reason, aside from potential rioting, that they don't drop food is because only the strong can get to it. The weak, like the injured or elderly, aren't able to push their way through the crowds or scramble up hillsides to get to the drop point and caring family members aren't likely to make it back to them safely with food.

But they were showing footage of a helicopter dropping supplies...so I guess they have dropped some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by