Weekend Tractor Project.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Apr 6, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I spent the better part of Saturday making this for the Cornish's I have coming this week.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

I still need to put some handles and slide bolt latches on it, and also need to get some large screws to fasten outside corners together. I would also like to put some wheels on the back to make moving it easier, as it is heavier than I expected.

I am considering using it to brood them as well. I was thinking about putting a piece of plywood across the width (I will attach it to the 1"x1" you can see in the bottom picture) to completely enclose the covered area. I hung the heat lamp where I think it should go. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you think it will work?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Wow, nice tractor. I really like it. I don't know how it will work for a brooder with your weather.

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:The forecast is calling for lows in the mid 30's over the next two weeks. I think I may turn on the light tonight, put a thermometer inside, and see how warm it stays inside the enclosure.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice- that looks very similar to the one I used last year. I also found mine to be quite heavy. I really like the back door you put on. We ended up having trouble on butchering day with all the birds crowding into the back of the tractor.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Yes, I know it's similar. I wanted to thank you for the design idea. I want to put a wheel assembly on the back like yours. I do like that it's heavy in the fact that it shouldn't blow away.

I am planning on hanging the feeders inside the back door. I put two 2"x6"s for backers above where I want to hang the feeders.

Thanks again for the idea.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, I know it's similar. I wanted to thank you for the design idea. I want to put a wheel assembly on the back like yours. I do like that it's heavy in the fact that it shouldn't blow away.

I am planning on hanging the feeders inside the back door. I put two 2"x6"s for backers above where I want to hang the feeders.

Thanks again for the idea.

Glad I could help- it won't blow away, unless you get a hurricane!

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:The forecast is calling for lows in the mid 30's over the next two weeks. I think I may turn on the light tonight, put a thermometer inside, and see how warm it stays inside the enclosure.

I moved them out into the tractor last Friday. They are doing good. We had temps in the low 30's a few nights, but it is staying very warm inside. I've had to move it every other day because there was so much poo. The only issue I've had is the humidity is very high inside, which I know can be bad. I'll let them out into the open area this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by