weekly grocery bill?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mychickensrock, Nov 20, 2008.

1. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I am curious to find out how much the average family spends a week on groceries. We are a family of 4. I think we spend between $75 and $100 a week. Is that normal or too much. I buy mostly organic foods and I don't buy any meat. How much do you spend for how many people?

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I spent $150 this week and I didn't buy any meat. I have to feed 6.

3. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    So what kinds of things do you make for your family? We eat lots of pasta, edamame, veggies, rice, and beans. And we are learning to love tofu.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I spend around $35 per week but there are only two of us. I can alot of stuff over the summer and in early fall as well so that helps alot.

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I buy all the non perishable's and my dh buy's all the meat, because he is a market manager. He is a country boy and love's his meat and potatoes. I prefer pasta. Veggies, we do alote of veggies, mostly homegrown. My kids are not picky, so that helps alote.

6. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I just found out I spend too much!

7. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:What makes you say that?

8. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    just a side note, I was just at the grocery store tonight, and a big box of honey nut cheerios was $6.75!!!!!!! Can you believe that?
    Then, a large package of scott toilet paper was $14!!!!!! I always shop the sales, so I rarely spend full price on anything. I guess Ive been out of touch. Well, it looks like shopping the sales has been paying off.
    Anyway, I used to spend about $110/week for family of 6 and that does not include any non food items. But since Ive been diligently shopping the sales and stocking up, thats gone down considerably.

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I think we average about $75 a week for the two of us. We only shop once a month and spend about $300. I also make alot of frozen meals for my mother who lives by herself.

10. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:Oh my word!!!! That is crazy! I thought $4.99 for some Quaker Oatmeal Squares was bad. Mostly I buy the Malt-O-Meals Frosted Mini Spooners which is like $2.99 for an 18oz bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by