Weekly short story writing contests!

Misfits Farm 92

Free Ranging
5 Years
Dec 18, 2018
Southern Ohio
I saw @chicken3fly s writing contest and really like it but it's a larger one. This is just a simple weekly short story writing contest with a theme.

Rules

odviously don't copy others work.
If another story inspired your short story then tell us.
try to keep it fairly family friendly. I'll allow some violence though.
last week's winner will be posted each Sunday.
That winner will post a new theme.
Each week's contest will end Saturday night.

This week's theme will be to write a short story from an enemy's perspective. (It can be your enemy, your chickens enemy, an antagonist in a story, ect...)

I hope this is still open.
Dacaw shook her wings. She stared at the human streets, shoulders hunched and beak clenched.
“I’m a bird, not a stomping, featherless human.” The crow grumbled to herself. Her mind wandered back to the conversation with her mother. ‘Oh Dacaw, think of Crow! He’s half human, we have to teach him about them.’ She huffed. Dacaw remembered perfectly well her response to that, which had been ignored. ‘He’s also half crow, and that’s the better half.’
Dacaw also remembered the scathing glare she had gotten from Cawander for that. Her aunt scared her even now that she was fully grown and mature.
Switching from those thoughts, she went back to scanning the streets and storefronts. The argument had all started when Ecawte had practically ordered the family to go and get “gifts” for each other. She had claimed that it was a human tradition that she had observed. But, apparently that was during the height of winter, while it was currently quickly becoming spring.
If Ecawte wanted us out of the Tree so badly, couldn’t she have just said so? There hasn’t been much of a reason lately to leave the Family Tree, as the recent rains had brought many tasty things with them.
Hmmph. Might as well get something for Tulcaw so Cawander doesn’t yell at me. Tulcaw was Cawander’s mate and Dacaw’s favorite aunt. She had looked up to her since she was a fledgling, about 2 1/2 years ago.
Cocking her head, Dacaw tried to focus back on her task. What to get for Tulcaw?
Her eyes alighted upon a colorful little thing gripped in a human-chick’s pudgy hand. Her eyes narrowed with satisfaction and a crooked grin alit upon her beak. Perfect.
Dacaw leapt off the branch of the stunted tree she was perched on. She swooped towards the human toy. Her claws shot forward. Almost...
Her claws almost grabbed it, but her aim wasn’t accurate enough, and the toy skittered to the ground. She had just a second to realize that it was a pinwheel toy before the adult human yelled at her and stomped its oh-so-stompable feet. Dacaw wheeled away, cawing at the human in annoyance, and landed atop a building.
“That went perfectly.” She muttered dryly.
A loud snickering caught Dacaw’s attention. She turned to regard the bird it was coming from. A bluejay.
“Whattaya want, bluey?”
The bluejay ceased in his giggling for a second. “You couldn’t even steal from a child!” He made several more noises which must’ve been some form of amusement. Dacaw narrowed her eyes in disgust.
“Ya crows are losing your skill! Ha! Never seen somethin’ sadder..” He went into another bout of laughter.
Dacaw, irked, hopped a few steps closer. “You think you’re real cool, eh? Don’t know if anyone told ya, but you look like a squirrel dipped in blue paint.”
The bluejay stopped laughing, glaring at her. “Don’t insult me cus I’m beautiful, bird.”
Dacaw snorted. “Beautiful? I’ve seen plastic lawn chairs prettier than you.”
“That’s it!” The bluejay squawked, wholly irritated. He hopped from foot to foot before darting forward and pecking at Dacaw, his thin black beak aiming for her shoulder feathers.
Dacaw hopped back, raising her wings. The bluejay paused for a moment.
Dacaw flapped her wings, making him step back. Then, she lunged forward, grabbing his flight feathers in her beak. The bluejay squawked and took off, a couple of his dislodged feathers floating to the ground.
Dacaw smirked. These’ll do good for Tulcaw. She picked up the two feathers and turned, lifting off. Time to go home.

Last edited:
Okay @Misfits Farm 92 here's mine!

Finally.
After years and years, and yes, more years, of planning. Revenge was mine. And oh, it was perfect.
Shifter had no clue it was coming.
Shifter had foiled my plans more than once. More than twice. More than a few times, actually. She would regret it now.
I ran my fingers through my short hair. It stuck straight on end, and I knew it gave me the look of a raving madman, with the black roots that turned stark silver. I adjusted the metal mask that was almost nearly present on my face. It was sleek, and it kept my identity safe.
Not that anyone cared to find out about it. But anonymity meant mystery. And an unknown enemy was a dangerous one.
An unknown enemy was a dangerous one.
I could hear my mother saying it to me now. Decades ago. When the first Shifter had graced the earth, and had destroyed half the city in the process of defeating one of their terrifying nemesis.
My mother was gone now, due to Shifter. And when the original Shifter had moved on, and left a young apprentice on their own, I saw a chance.
This new Shifter didn’t know the extent of their powers. Didn’t know the dangers that came with the position.
And so I struck.
Here and there, nothing big. Made the headlines once or twice.
But never caught. Oh no, never. The deadliest villains are the ones that hide behind the curtain. The ones that stay so quiet they’re almost forgotten about.
I knew I was on Shifter’s radar. She actively came seeking me. And time and time again, I showed her what it meant to be defeated.
What it meant to lose.
Yet she kept coming back for more.
Heroes are interesting that way. Never giving up, no matter how many times they’re defeated. No matter how many times they are knocked down and broken, they always come back for more. I guess that’s what makes them so popular amongst the public.
Little do they know that I’ve done the same.
Loved, lost, and gotten back up again.
Yet everyone else is on Shifter’s side.
An interesting thing, fate is, isn’t it?
But nevermind that. Now, now it is time for revenge.
She should be gaining consciousness sometime soon. I left my room, and went to stand outside the room where I was holding Shifter. The sounds of struggle against bonds quickly greeted my ears.
I opened the door and strode in.
She froze.
Perfect.
I stood in front of her, wondering if she was going to make the first move. Heroes always felt the need to make the first move. To show that they were willing to stand up. But it always paid to be reserved.
“Silver,” she greeted me with a nod.
The public knows me as the Silver Scientist. But Shifter’s always been personable, always polite. It’s a shame, really. She’d be a wonderful sidekick.
Even tied up she was calm. I knew she’d be trying everything she could to get out of her bonds. And it would be foolish of me to assume that my bonds are foolproof.
Villains are always shown as stupid. Naive. We rant about our plans in front of the protagonist, giving away our final twist, and then end up defeated.
Not here. Oh no. My plans were meticulous, not hinged on one final thing that was certain to go wrong, and I definitely did not reveal them in front of my enemies.
“Shifter,” I returned. “Here we are, yet again.”
She nodded. “You’re not going to get away with this.”
“You’re probably right,” I sighed dramatically. “What have you come up with this time?”
“You’re planning on mixing up a chemical that will-”
“Move on, that was last week.”
She seemed disgruntled at my interruption, but she started again. “You’re going to mess with the genetics of your cronies-”
“Three months ago.”
Again, she seemed put off by this.
“Using the moon, you’re going to-”
“Who do you think I am? Some all-powerful being? And who’s coming up with these plans? The moon? Ridiculous.”
She went on this time without hesitation.
“You’re going to get revenge on someone. But I’m going to stop you.”
I nodded this time, “That seems much more reasonable, doesn’t it?”
She nodded.
I went up to her, aware of all her movements. Now was the time. Now revenge was mine.
But first: to see who was under the mask. I would be able to enact my revenge to its fullest if I knew who it was.
My gloved fingers reached up to the bridge of her nose, and the cloth came down with my hand. Another quick motion, and the hood that usually hung so low over her eyes was removed.
Shifter’s eyes met mine.
“Hello, Father,” she said calmly. “It’s been a while.”

@Butterscotchbitesfinger you will the winner for last week's contest! Although it was a tough choice to make. Now you get to pick the theme and later in the week the winner for this week's short story writing contest. I may make it as a writing contest that lasts two weeks though. It depends on how this week's contest goes.

Great idea! I also want to write a story! I have never participated in such competitions before. But I love writing about chickens in my diary. Will it be considered a scam if I use the https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/loyalty/ site where they help write? I once used it to study. They give advice on writing and help you edit. I'm just weak in grammar. But they know how to write interesting stories. Just in no patience to rest the stories of others)
Ok the theme is Christmas

I hope this is still open.
Dacaw shook her wings. She stared at the human streets, shoulders hunched and beak clenched.
“I’m a bird, not a stomping, featherless human.” The crow grumbled to herself. Her mind wandered back to the conversation with her mother. ‘Oh Dacaw, think of Crow! He’s half human, we have to teach him about them.’ She huffed. Dacaw remembered perfectly well her response to that, which had been ignored. ‘He’s also half crow, and that’s the better half.’
Dacaw also remembered the scathing glare she had gotten from Cawander for that. Her aunt scared her even now that she was fully grown and mature.
Switching from those thoughts, she went back to scanning the streets and storefronts. The argument had all started when Ecawte had practically ordered the family to go and get “gifts” for each other. She had claimed that it was a human tradition that she had observed. But, apparently that was during the height of winter, while it was currently quickly becoming spring.
If Ecawte wanted us out of the Tree so badly, couldn’t she have just said so? There hasn’t been much of a reason lately to leave the Family Tree, as the recent rains had brought many tasty things with them.
Hmmph. Might as well get something for Tulcaw so Cawander doesn’t yell at me. Tulcaw was Cawander’s mate and Dacaw’s favorite aunt. She had looked up to her since she was a fledgling, about 2 1/2 years ago.
Cocking her head, Dacaw tried to focus back on her task. What to get for Tulcaw?
Her eyes alighted upon a colorful little thing gripped in a human-chick’s pudgy hand. Her eyes narrowed with satisfaction and a crooked grin alit upon her beak. Perfect.
Dacaw leapt off the branch of the stunted tree she was perched on. She swooped towards the human toy. Her claws shot forward. Almost...
Her claws almost grabbed it, but her aim wasn’t accurate enough, and the toy skittered to the ground. She had just a second to realize that it was a pinwheel toy before the adult human yelled at her and stomped its oh-so-stompable feet. Dacaw wheeled away, cawing at the human in annoyance, and landed atop a building.
“That went perfectly.” She muttered dryly.
A loud snickering caught Dacaw’s attention. She turned to regard the bird it was coming from. A bluejay.
“Whattaya want, bluey?”
The bluejay ceased in his giggling for a second. “You couldn’t even steal from a child!” He made several more noises which must’ve been some form of amusement. Dacaw narrowed her eyes in disgust.
“Ya crows are losing your skill! Ha! Never seen somethin’ sadder..” He went into another bout of laughter.
Dacaw, irked, hopped a few steps closer. “You think you’re real cool, eh? Don’t know if anyone told ya, but you look like a squirrel dipped in blue paint.”
The bluejay stopped laughing, glaring at her. “Don’t insult me cus I’m beautiful, bird.”
Dacaw snorted. “Beautiful? I’ve seen plastic lawn chairs prettier than you.”
“That’s it!” The bluejay squawked, wholly irritated. He hopped from foot to foot before darting forward and pecking at Dacaw, his thin black beak aiming for her shoulder feathers.
Dacaw hopped back, raising her wings. The bluejay paused for a moment.
Dacaw flapped her wings, making him step back. Then, she lunged forward, grabbing his flight feathers in her beak. The bluejay squawked and took off, a couple of his dislodged feathers floating to the ground.
Dacaw smirked. These’ll do good for Tulcaw. She picked up the two feathers and turned, lifting off. Time to go home.
Nice Story!

Chickens enemy: Chickenhawk ( The Chicken Hawk )

It's time for me to do my hunt for lunch. ( soars out of his tree )
Oh, Look! Chickens! The same 6 I see every day, except they are free range today! Yes! I love a Jucy treat! Hailey ( leader of flock ) said Look! A Chicken Hawk! Get in the coop Pronto girls! Chicken Hawk soars down to scoop up Hailey who is standing in the doorway of the coop protecting her flock. Bam! Hailey kickfliped The chicken hawk in the head! OWW! That Hurt You chicken! Thankfully for the chickens he was a scaredy chicken hawk! He flew away and was never seen again. The chicken flock was saved thanks to their fearless leader Hailey!
( of course this was made up, but there is a chicken hawk around. )

Back
Top Bottom