Weekly what am I post? 2 new pics, can get more if needed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by confusedturtle, Jun 22, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    This chicken will be between 9-10 weeks old this week. I am not 100% sure of its age because the man who sold it to me said he had a mix of chicks he had ordered from a hatchery. He said he had ordered RIR's and some mixes (found out later they are red sex links) all pullets, and a friend had also ordered some pullets but didn't need all of the ones he ordered so he gave them to the man who was selling them to me. He thought the other mans chicks were a week or two older than his, but didn't give me an exact age. Half of his "pullets" were of this same coloring, the other half were some with my sex link's coloring and some that I think were the RIR coloring. I was a newbie to chickens when I bought them so I took his word for it. Here is a pic of my chick when it was 4 weeks old. I was told by the seller that it was a buff/white PR pullet, after posting the pic I was told it was a red sex link rooster [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the same chick 2 weeks later when I was told it was an amberlink pullet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the same chick today, approx 9-10 weeks old [​IMG] hoping for a pullet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas of what sex/breed this chick is? I have heard no attempts at crowing from this one so no signs yelling roo. If you think roo or pullet please explain why, I really want to get the hang of this [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    hen!!!!

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I can't see the feather shape too well in the pics...cockerals have pointy hackle feathers, pullets are rounded. I don't see any saddle feathers, and the posture looks more like a pullet to me. Again, I can't be sure, so don't sell the farm on this, but I would definitely hold out hope that it's a pullet.

4. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Oh I sure hope so [​IMG] It used to hubby & my daughters favorite but it has become my favorite too. She is the only one who actually seems to like me picking her up and petting her...unless there is something she wants to scratch and eat [​IMG] Thank you [​IMG]

5. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I will see if I can get better pics [​IMG]

6. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    looks like a pullet to me;)

~I~LUV~CHICKENS~

7. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Ok here are a few more pics, hope it helps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For comparison, I was told this was a red sex link pullet, bought at the same time but possibly a week or two younger than the one in question
    [​IMG]

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    idk only because im raising a white "buff" rock cockeral and he looks identical to your "amberlink" pullet. mine has cockeral feathers without a doubt. yours seems to have no signs of yellowish pointy feathers but be on the lookout.[​IMG] they can show up any day. next thing you know hes crowing.[​IMG]

9. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    My best guess would be a Tetra Tint pullet.

10. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    IF and only IF its a tetra tint, I say pullet, other wise I say cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by