Weeping Egg, ICK!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have 24 eggs in at day 15.
    Everyday I shine a flashlight over all the eggs as well as checking all the other vitals.
    I've been smelling something, but not overwhelming as I've heard them described. Just sort of funky like a crushed egg had leaked ONTO the incubating eggs when they were shipped.
    Well, tonight I saw seeping/weeping from one of the Black Copper Maran eggs. [​IMG]

They are all in egg cartons so I put all the other eggs into a new egg carton and put this one, egg and all, into a plastic ziplock and into the trash.

I was nervous during the transfers and handling of the weeping egg. I was terrified it was going to explode!

Whew!! Hope everyone else is healthy in there.

Due to hatch next week. [​IMG]

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

[​IMG] GRATS [​IMG]

i cant wait to start hatching eggs

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So far during both incubations I've done, I've ended up with one weeping egg. Pretty normal, I guess--freaked me out the first time, though. Good job--and happy hatching! Not long now...

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm waiting another 6 days to see your pics.. [​IMG]

good luck [​IMG]

5. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Great! I do love to take pics of the hatch and babies.
    The eggs I have in there are Black Copper Marans, Ameraucanas and Partridge Penedesencas. Just a few more days!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    did you take out the weeping egg? it can contaminate the hatch...and explode in the bator...

7. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:YES! If you had a chance to read my first post, I left it in the egg carton and transferred all the others to a new egg carton, then threw it away, egg carton and all. I was afraid to touch it. And it seemed to be sort of 'bonded' wtih the egg carton.

I was totally afraid of the 'Exploding Egg' experience!
    I got off lucky.

8. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I skimmed the post...out on medical and taking pain medication...so I was killing time before sleeping. Yeah the tend to get yucky!!! Mine was weeping and like a dummy I didnt know what it was ...wiped it off, was in the bator...and weeped again...so I took it out, thought let me open it and see what stage it was at...when I went to open it...LESSON LEARNED....

I guess when I made the crack to open it ...it released the pressure inside the egg and it exploded all over, my hands, arms...and it STUNK!!!! I had a hard time even after washing getting the smell off...I finally did wash with soap, then washed with White vinegar, and washed with soap again...took the smell out. The fluids in the egg was all dark dark black and all fluid.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Exciting isn't it? You are day 16 and I am on day 19. I cannot wait. I am hoping to see a pip sometime today or this evening.

10. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:OH MY GOD!! This is the nightmare! So sorry you experienced it.
    Mine has not exploded yet. Its in the outside trash in plastic bags. I hope to not be present when it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by