Weevils just love my house. :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Chickens = Sudden weevil population? They may have been here before... But I have really started to notice them ever since the chickens came along!
    Uh well I saw a weevil in steamed cooked rice before, my bowl, little weevil stuck to one grain of rice, dead..... Then I saw one on the dining room table. I squashed it. Today I found a bunch in my dog's water bowl, all dead. Then I saw one on my computer table.. And at school before some time ago I saw one on my desk.
    I suspect they are on my clothes, in my room, all over the house!!! And I have seen one in my bed before!!!
    I am terrified of bugs! Once I saw a huge earwig in my shower while I was taking a shower! I almost had a heart attack. I see one or two weevils in the carpet occasionally.

This is normal? I shouldn't be worried? Should I be worried? What do I do!?!
    Is this an infestation? Do they travel on my chickens, because I have let a chicken in here before! How are they getting on my clothes???
    Ahhhh! Ahhhh! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    To be honest, I have never seen a weevil on a chicken - in a chicken maybe - but not on a chicken. [​IMG] I'm sure that if I'm wrong and someone has a weevil infested chicken that they will correct me soonish.

If they are grain/flour weevils then more than likely they have come in your house by being carried in by someone in your household in the form of flour, chicken feed, cornmeal and etc. We had a lot of them growing up and mom finally got them under control by putting anything that we currently had in stock that they would love to eat/live/breed in inside airtight containers and freeze them for a day. From then on any new grains were put immeditely into airtight containers. It helped a lot.

Or you could do as my dad suggested to us and think of it as just more protein. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by