Weezeing hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyinRed, May 20, 2010.

1. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    My one year old Buff Silkie hen just started Wheezing and seems to have teary eyes, but then again her head poof is so big its hard to see them. Should I treat her with Duramycin-10 or Tylan and what ammounts for a one gallon waterer?
    She eats fine and drinks so I don't think its serious. I handle the birds every day so I would have noticed it any sooner. I'm also calling my vet but may not be able to get a hold of him for a few hours. They can be slow for phone calls and rarely treat chickens.

Thank you veeeerrry much!! I really love my girls and hate for them to not be feeling good!!!!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is your girl doing? Is your coop dusty? Hoping she is doing better [​IMG]

3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:I spoke with our vet and he told us its most likely a upper respiratory tract infection and not to bother stressing her by separating her, to just go ahead and give her Duramycin and keep an eye on her. She had almost stopped wheezing and only sniffling that night and now she is energetic and not sneezing or wheezing at all, no one else is sick and All seems fine. The girl really made a turn around. I have been giving her daily boiled egg yolk to make sure she eats plenty and she LOVES the extra treats [​IMG]

The coop is not very dusty as its a very open design but it is due for new shavings so tomorrow its getting stripped down and cleaned. Who knows! She might be really smart and figured out that if she acted really sick that she could get extra treats!

Thanks!
    -Brittany

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

It is good to hear that she is on the mend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by