1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weezing and limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beau Garden, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Beau Garden

Beau Garden Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Ballston Lake, NY
    I have a 6 month old hen that has always had a flopped over comb. We call her Willy. I didn't know why it was gimped. All of the sudden this morning I went out and she was completely lifeless and weezing, moaning, snoring. What should I do? So far I put her in a crate separate from the other chickens but I'm super worried. I can't get her to eat or drink anything.

2. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Did you see if she has something in her throat? Is her comb purple? If so she could be chocking on something. I'm no expert so hopefully you get a reply soon from someone that knows more. The floppy comb is normal for many chickens. Has nothing to do with anything.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

4. Beau Garden

Feb 16, 2016
    Ballston Lake, NY
    She's only laid a few eggs and they were all weird. Thin shells and I don't think she's laid one in a while since. She has a yellowish greenish diarrhea. She feels thin and floppy

5. AmandaMBG

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    She could have had a bound egg that burst and it was yolk you were seeing coming out. Early detection of a bound egg is essential or it is lethal. Pretty sure there is an emergency thread you can post in and you might get some better responses. Shelless or membrane covered eggs are common for some birds in the beginning especially if they are low on calcium. Do you have oyster shell available for your birds free choice?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  6. Beau Garden

Feb 16, 2016
    Ballston Lake, NY
    I have been giving oyster she'll but they also free range. I tried giving an antibiotic but I think it was too late. She didn't make it.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

8. AmandaMBG

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Sorry for your loss :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by