Weighed some coturnix today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cajunboy74, Apr 11, 2011.

1. cajunboy74

cajunboy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I started raising quail again last fall, I raised some many years ago that were some little bitty things. When I got birds again I got some eggs locally form 2 different breeders well at about 6 weeks most of these birds weighed 6-8 ounces with most of them being alot closer to 6 ounces so I kept the biggest and bred them I am now getting eggs from the second generation and have some in the incubator. Well a while back I bought some eggs fro eBay out of Arkansas with the lady claiming 13-17 ounce quail and I figured it wouldn't happen but oh well. They haven't actually reached that but I am really impressed with the results. When I weighed the eBay birds today they are a littlle under 8 weeks old, I have about 10 birds weighing in 12- 12.5 ounces. Not moby quail but way bigger than the original birds I aquired. They size wasn't very consistent though some were alot smaller more like 9 ounces.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    nice job, I would be very happy with 12 oz. quail.
    what are you feeding? I am new but trying to pick up any pointers.
    keep weighing and recording, I appreciate the scientific approach.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's a start, maybe you can get the next generation bigger [​IMG]

4. cajunboy74

cajunboy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Quote:I have been feeding purina 30% gbs for about 4 weeks then switching over to 20% lonestar layer crumbles. I tend to use a slightly scientific approach to stuff I graduated college in biology. I had also weighed these new birds at 4.5 weeks and the bigger ones weighed 8-9 ounces at that point.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    claiming 13-17 ounce quail

[​IMG]

I BET SHE CLAIMS DISABILITY TOO....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by