Weighing bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Quail_Antwerp, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Has anyone ever tried? I mean, otherwise how do you know your bantam is in the standard weight or not?

I am only wondering if I should weigh my Quail Antwerps to be sure they are the standard size before breeding them?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I weigh every bird I show or sell to someone who is breeding to show.
    It's simple really. I have an electronic platform scale-got it off EBAY for $20. Put a box large enough for thr bird on the scale, add the bird, subtract the weight of the box and there you are. Actually the scale I have will zero correct for the weight of the box.

3. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Thank you. We live in a prevelant 4-H area, and I want to be sure I am offering breed standard birds and not just something I threw together.

4. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    I take my scale to the show with me and just dare one of them darn judges to say one of my Modern Games are too big.

Bob

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Quail_Antwerp

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:LOL that is funny, but this is my first time with bantams, and I want to make sure I do it right. I have a pair of Quail Antwerps, Robert and Fran, and he seems to be TWICE her size!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by