Weighing Eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by littledear, Feb 21, 2012.

1. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    I'm convinced now of how important it is to weigh the eggs and keep track of moisture loss. My first incubated goose egg externally piped and we lost it as it still had a good sized yoke sac attached. The second one came out last evening (day 30) and it left part of a yoke sac behind in the shell but the gosling is doing well this morning[​IMG] I am going to weigh all of my eggs from now on and be more meticulous when I incubate. I will post more pics as well.

2. littledear

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Here is a picture from 1:00 AM[​IMG]

3. littledear

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Here is a third picture of my newest baby.[​IMG]

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Very cute and congratulations [​IMG]

5. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Pretty Baby! Sorry about the one you lost.
    what kind of scale do you plan to use?
    P.Sue

6. poultrypalacewhidbey

poultrypalacewhidbey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Hi,
    Were these goslings from eggs that were some of the first that your birds laid this season? I had this problem when I first started breeding geese and found that waiting a week or so after the onset of laying to collect the first hatching eggs helped a lot. Also make sure that the breeders are on a complete feed, not a layer feed. Feeding a layer feed that is formulated for chickens doesn't provide the nutrients in the eggs to provide for proper development of geese.
    I am very sorry you lost your first one, good luck with the second gosling and any future hatches.

7. littledear

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Yes they were some of the very first eggs. I have another one that is internally piped and clicking as well as a few more that are behind the first three. I started another bunch in my incubator. I have three incubators so I just keep starting more. I will go and buy a complete feed. Thanks so much for the advice.

8. littledear

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Oh by the way I am using a kitchen scale that is digital and I use a thick rubberband to set the egg in to keep it from rolling. You could use a dish and zero out the dish on the scale and then put the egg in it. I started twelve eggs this morning and weighed using oz. Next time I am using grams as I think it will be more accurate. I have anothe goskling that has externally piped and one that is internally piped tonight. I am watching them very closely.

9. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    I agree the oz is probally way to general for eggs. Gotta find that gram scale hubby has ....[​IMG]
    BTW #2 of the 8 original Embden eggs was really swimming tonight![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by