Weight gain

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Daddy rooster, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Daddy rooster

Daddy rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2017
    I have 3roos an 3hens 6months old.they are free range.they all are beautiful an they look fat.they eat corn an scratch an pellets an all my leftover.theyre breast just won't fill out.is it because they are free range or so young.they eat all day.what to do

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Limit their treats to no more than 10% of their diet. Also keep in mind that scratch is high in carbs and low in protein. What breed do you have? A heritage bird won't generally develop huge breasts like a CX.

sourland and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. Daddy rooster

Sep 29, 2017
    Well when I got them they were labeled speckled Sussex but they are not.they are either Norman Sussex or Rhode island red .I only treat them with bread.two pieces a day.my concern is the breast bone is very prominent an with cold coming I worry about they're warmth.i put a radiator heater in their coop yesterday to see how it will do an it was nice an toasty this morning.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Can post some pictures ? Depending on where you are heat may not be necessary as chickens are generally very cold hardy as long as they are draft free, dry and have plenty of ventilation to prevent water condensation.

sourland likes this.
  5. Daddy rooster

Sep 29, 2017
    I don't know how to post pics.i try to a check shows up after I take pic an when I touch it the pic goes somewhere idk.

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Daddy rooster

Sep 29, 2017
    There is a video of them on YouTube .search hoyt dooley rooster ramble

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. rjohns39

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    They look fine to me in the video. Not over weight, healthy and strong. I'm guessing you're using a phone and not a computer for your pics. If you turn the phone sideways, you should see three buttons, "Post Reply" "upload a file" and "More Options". Use the upload a file button and then it should let you browse to the pics, select them and then upload.

8. Daddy rooster

Sep 29, 2017
    I built a nest box for my girls on the front porch because that's where they started laying but all 3 want to lay in the stall an there are 4 stalls so they have to wait on the other to get out of the way.they all lay first thing in the morning an get fussy having to wait on each other.weird huh

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. Daddy rooster

Sep 29, 2017
    I thoroughly enjoy this site interacting with others about my concerns is very informative.i look forward to the replies.thank y'all.

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. rjohns39

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Perfectly normal, just like the worm dance. If you want to use it, it must be better than mine:lau:lau

You're very welcome:highfive: If the pics keep giving you challenges, I can grab one of my friends who use a phone to help out. I'm phone illiterate.:oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by