Weight Loss...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kle2684, Nov 2, 2016.

1. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Looking for advice...my 7 month old Brahma hen started losing feathers a few weeks ago below her vent and on her underside. They have slowly started to grow back but now she is Soooo thin. She is eating and drinking and also still laying. I added some "feather fixer" pellets in with her layer pellets. She occasionally has a weird step in her gait. Ideas???

2. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I am a Newbie, too, and don't have chickens, only Guinea Fowl

but for what it's worth, getting thin can be so many things, including worms

have you wormed her? others may have advice on whether that may even be needed at her age

just trying to help

a fecal float at the vet's (may not cost much - I usually call to find out first so I know) may tell you about possible parasite problems

3. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    I'm actually a vet tech, so I checked a fecal on her- nothing except a few coccidia which I've read is pretty normal. I'm wondering if it could be molt related? Should I separate her ad bring her in to monitor her more closely? Not sure if I should be adding electrolytes to her h2o?? Thanks for the input!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would up her protein...Grower crumbles are fine...I would also stick with water...

Cheers!

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Most likely, its related to the molt. That does a number on them and it takes a lot of energy and protein to regrow them. I would suggest uppingbthe protein as well. They do make a "feather fixer" feed at our local feed store; you could try that :)

Do you ferment your feed? Fermenting is a great way to up the nutrition in the feed and add in some probiotics for gut health. I try to use more alfalfa pellets when they're molting; high protein plus great nutrients to help recover and get back into production.

Until then, some cooked egg yolks and oatmeal should perk her back up. Make her feel loved anyway ha-ha ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by