Weight loss system for dogs??? Are they kidding???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jan 4, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I just saw the most idiotic thing on TV. Science Diet now has a weight loss system for dogs.

Geez Louise! Just don't feed them as much! It's not like they can sneak in the frig. at midnight to snack. Okay, Kane can; but most dogs can't.

Get real people! [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    People feeding them leftovers or overfeeding the good stuff and not enough exercise.

The animals are becoming like their owners.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My dog would eat anything IF she could but she can't. She's 10 and in great shape because she can only eat what I feed her! NOT a case of the dog being like her owner though, I need to go on a diet.... [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DH and I are bad doggie owners. Bad! Bad!

We feed both dogs, Jax nibbles, Kane inhales. Kane stands by patiently waiting, until Jax has eaten all he wants, then Kane gets the okay to finish it off. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    90 % of the pet that I see are super morbidly obese. It's horrible to watch 150 lb labs waddle in the exam room. 25 % of these patients have documented thyroid problems. The rest are overfed by loving owners who just don't understand, 'Your Dog/Cat is obese!' They absolutely can not stop feeding their animals. Why, I don't know. I guess they substitute food for love.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I think we're doing okay, until such time as the vet tells us we have to take Kane around to the livestock scales out back.

He's just big-boned doc, honest!

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I think we're doing okay, until such time as the vet tells us we have to take Kane around to the livestock scales out back.

He's just big-boned doc, honest!

[​IMG] That is what I say to my doctor, I'm big boned gal, and its genetics! [​IMG]

8. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:big-boned and fluffy!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are different balances of nutrients, fats, carbohydrates, proteins for different stages and conditions of a dog's life. My son has a dog who literally runs ALL DAY. They have a very difficult time getting enough calories into her--she always looks super skinny. She needs a very different food than a dog who gets much less exercise (for whatever reason). If I had acquired a dog that was too heavy, I would certainly look for a low-fat feed for overweight dogs, and I would certainly insure that it got sufficient exercise and that the volume of food was appropriately limited.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:big-boned and fluffy!

Yeah, yeah! That's it! Kane is just fluffy! [​IMG]

Honest he's not oveweight. He's right around 100 lbs. He has 10 more pounds to go before he matches his sire. If I bury my hands in his fluff, I can feel his body structure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by