Weight loss vaccine.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleChickenLady, Jun 11, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    So I've read that they've developed a vaccine that could help "block the appetite-stimulating hormone ghrelin" and possibly help people lose weight.
    They're still only testing it on mice, but they say that it'd be able (hopefully) to be used long term and without many side effects.

What do you guys think? Would you ever give it a try?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Since January of 2008, I've lost 78 lbs. I need to loose another 62. If it worked and it was safe, I'd use it.

3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You can also block ghrelin by eating a handful of almonds about 20 minutes before a meal. [​IMG] No, I would not try it (vaccine), personally.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    I might try it... depending on a few things. Namely.. that extensive side-affects list that comes after medications in tv adds. The ones that say "We'll help your arthritis but just might kill you or leave you paralyzed" and the like.

Really though... I could loose a little bit of weight.. but mine isen't due to hunger. Its due to my sweet tooth. My insistent sweet tooth. So when they come up with a vaccine against sugar cravings, let me know, k? [​IMG]

5. LeafZoo

LeafZoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Drink a glass of water no more than 30 minutes before eating and it makes you feel full, in addition to boosting your metabolism. Don't drink a lot of liquid during meals so that the body can more efficiently digest the food. Eat 5-6 mini meals a day to keep your blood sugar stable, and to boost your metabolism, too. (You can eat more calories if you eat mini meals.) Eat protein at every meal if possible, and make sure you're getting enough protein and calories daily for your body weight.

To get rid of cravings, check out the book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body: Use Your Brain to Get and Keep the Body You Have Always Wanted" by Daniel G. Amen Md (Paperback - Dec 28, 2010) Once you get your brain chemistry right, the cravings disappear.

To answer your question, no, there's no way I would use a vaccine to treat anything like that. There are natural ways to reduce hunger. Too many vaccines are unproven in the long-term and turn out to be more harmful than good, imo, as they have to be recalled. I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    That would be interesting if it worked. I know that other hormone attempts have failed though, even though they worked in mice. Basically, the hormone that signals fullness is missing in obese mice (there is a gene for that). The obese mice were connected to normal mice, and the hormone in the normal mouse caused the obese mice to lose weight (I think...it's been a while since I listened to the lecture, I could be getting that wrong, the hormone may have been injected...don't remember the specifics..I'll have to look it up). However, the same hormone did not make it in human trials, because the human body stops responding to the hormone when obese. Only when weight is lost, does the body begin responding again. That study was run by a pure research group. The vaccine sounds more like a corporate funded study. The funding and goals differ between the two. I'm not sure why it'd be called a vaccine either, as it sounds more like an injection that modifies hormone receptors. [​IMG] If it is actually attacking hormones...I don't know how that would play out. Would warrant more research and sounds a bit iffy to me. But, it's always useful to find the actual scientific papers on any study. Once the media gets a hold of it, even good science is reduced to terms simplified and sensationalized to the point where you can't always recognize the original study. Obesity has huge health consequences though, so if it helped, it's worth looking into. Just have to weigh in the likely concerns.

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Also, haha, 'weigh in'.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I heard to eat 1/2 an apple 30 mins before a meal will work. I would not take a vaccine.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A vaccine to lose weight? Come on! A vaccine will not tell people to make the right food choices. Most likely will not stop the emotional eaters. Will this vaccine make you exercise more? However, I'm sure this vaccine will empty your wallet or purse.

10. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry, but this sounds like bad news.

Anything that works to block natural hormones in your body cannot be healthy.

Most folks who are overweight are overweight because of the way they choose to eat, not due to a hormone in the body.

I've known people who lament their inability to lose weight while eating a 3000 calorie a day diet and being absolutely sedentary. Well, sorry, but if you're overeating and inactive, the weight is going to pack on.

My mom and sister have both had gastric bypass surgery, and yes, it enabled them to lose a ton of weight. My sister initially took off 217 lbs, my mom took off 93 pounds. But, they're both a couple years out, and they can eat what they want, and they're both gaining weight again. The bypass surgery only temporarily helps with weight loss, unless you adhere to a healthy eating plan that eliminates all the junk that made you obese any way.

My point is this: people look to hard for the easy way out. I've lost weight by adhering to a healthy eating plan (Weight Watchers) and eliminating the junk and pop I used to eat too much of. I still have 25 lbs to lose, but I am no where near the weight I was just a few months ago. Has it been easy? No, it's harder to adhere to a healthy eating plan than it was for me to quit smoking. Smoking was easy compared to changing my eating habits. But, I've worked hard at it and done it the right way, and I do have a good sense of accomplishment due to my weight loss and improved health and well being.

And honestly, since I've been eating better and exercising more, I feel SO much better.

I doubt very highly that a shot can give you the benefits that a healthy lifestyle can.

JMHO-
    Blessings-
    Em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by