Weight loss whilst laying..?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hali74, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hali74

hali74 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi guys, I've noticed that my hens have started to lose weight .. Is this due to them laying? I'm constantly feeding them and feeling their crops which seem to be full a lot... And when I pick them up their breast bone (not sure if it is) but the bone that comes down the middle is sticking out a lot... Is that normal? I only notice the bone now as I keep picking them up..

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Laying is going to take it out of them. If you also have cold weather, that will make them loose weight as well. Add a high calorie treat to get a few more calories into them.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, that's not normal. That can be a sign of worms. Have you ever wormed your flock? Worms will rob them of their nutrients, causing them to lose weight.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. hali74

Nov 13, 2013

I don't think they've got worms - their eggs come out clean and they've been laying every day... I will put DE in their feed..

So is their bone not meant to stick out?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They can still lay while having worms, and DE will not deworm them. You can take a fecal sample in to a vet and have it checked for worms.

A hen of a healthy weight will not have a protruding keel bone.

How old is your hen?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. hali74

Nov 13, 2013
    I think you're right :( I've never noticed the bone but I do now ... I've bought flubenvet should that do the trick? Ones 9 months and the other 8
    Thanks

7. hali74

Nov 13, 2013
    Also .. This might be a stupid question but they're constantly eating worms from the ground.. (Sometimes whole ones) Could these survive in my girls? :(

8. hali74

Nov 13, 2013
    Also I thought dirty eggs meant worms? I'm always getting clean ones.. Could the weight loss be due to them not eating their pellets but eating porridge white boiled rice instead?

9. hali74

Nov 13, 2013
    Anyone?!!!

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    No the earth worms will not take up residence inside your chickens but earth worms, crickets, grasshoppers, slugs, snails, and any of probably 1,000s of other invertebrates can and will pass on round worm or other internal parasite eggs to your hens.

If you want to you can look at it as the way that earth worms protect themselves from your chickens.

If they are raised in an area that is contaminated with chicken parasites then even meal worms can infest your birds with worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by