% weight loss

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hollowridge, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hollowridge

Hollowridge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Question on % of weight loss method when hatching eggs? I have been trying to do this for the past few years and have been working with 13% loss in 21 days so approx . 62% per day. BUT IS THIS CORRECT?
    My last candle and weigh in is always the end of day 18, so what % loss do I want there? 11.14% or higher?
    And is there a difference in shipped eggs? Have a batch just in the Bator now of our own as a test run before we get shipped eggs in a few weeks. Love the paperwork so I don’t mind getting really involved if that is what it takes. Thanks

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I will comment here but can not answer your question but want to see what is said.

Just for info----I have hatched 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and have never weighed a egg. I just get the humidity right and let them hatch.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't weigh either, I monitor air cells. They should loose 11-13% from lay through the incubation to lockdown. Shipped eggs, from what I understand can't correctly be weighed for monitoring because you don't get an initial weight, therefor you don't know how much they loose before you get them. One could argue that if the air cell hasn't grown significantly by the time you get them, the percentage would be so little it'd be insignificant and if you still stayed in the 11-13% it would be fine.

Personally, I hate math and find weighing a non necessary time consuming act that I could be using that time to candle and look at air cells to the same outcome. (I'm a candling addict so it feeds my need. [​IMG] lol)

1 person likes this.
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    And :welcome

5. Hollowridge

Hollowridge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    We do watch the air cells also but I find that 1 person can look at it and say yes it is on track like the diagram and another will say no it is off.

Both hubby and I are active in the hatching but as anyone with partners know we don't always see things the same. ha ha. The math is a hard fact that can't be disputed. YES HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!! And up to last year we only did one hatch for ourselves a year. And we are perfectionist or try to be! lol

Find the same goes for temperature gauges example: one reads 99.5 one 100 one 101 like really it is enough to drive a sane person crazy and a crazy person (like myself) into a coma!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by