Weight method to determine moisture in incubator

PeterDenmark

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Skåne -Sweden
I don't know if anything like this has been shared before, and if so, i will delete my post.

I had a lot of questions about humidity, and there are LOTS of opinions. What moisture content, how much water, should i dry incubate, is my moisture meter calibrated correctly, is the air cell big enough, will i drown my chicks etc.

But a pretty universally acknowledged fact is, that an egg should lose between 13 and 15 percent of its weight from day 1 to 18

So i made a (pretty bad, but functional) spreadsheet to determine the optimal weight of eggs during incubation. Just put in the average weight of all your eggs on day 1 in the sheet, and then weigh them again when you see fit, and plot the average weight of the eggs on that day into the sheet to see if it is within range. Both as a number, and a visual representation.

If it weighs too little add moisture, too much, remove moisture.

You need a scale that can measure to within 0.1 grams like a letter weight. Cheap on eBay or Amazon.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iV199nVAJtomBnGW8UH6NqzNIUCxCN8C

(I think you need a Google account, like from Gmail, to download it)

Here are illustrations, with fictitious numbers plotted.
View attachment 1291609
View attachment 1291610

I did the weighing eggs also. Was a newbie and didn't realize people don't do anymore. It was absolutely helpful to me as the person who lent me the incubator said to incubate at 70% humidity.
I didn't realize until I was candling on day 7 my chicks were too big
The high commodity caused them to grow too fast. They were headed to being too big that they wouldn't of been able to hatch.
I used a kitchen scale. I too made a chart. One side weight other side days on graph paper. I marked starting weight and then calculated ending weight and put a dot on proper days. Took a ruler and made a line. I could see each time weighed where each one was headed.

If you want an awesome Excel spreadsheet with all hatching data recorded go to Poultry Talk Ontario. They have one on their forum site.

I don't know if anything like this has been shared before, and if so, i will delete my post.

I had a lot of questions about humidity, and there are LOTS of opinions. What moisture content, how much water, should i dry incubate, is my moisture meter calibrated correctly, is the air cell big enough, will i drown my chicks etc.

But a pretty universally acknowledged fact is, that an egg should lose between 13 and 15 percent of its weight from day 1 to 18

So i made a (pretty bad, but functional) spreadsheet to determine the optimal weight of eggs during incubation. Just put in the average weight of all your eggs on day 1 in the sheet, and then weigh them again when you see fit, and plot the average weight of the eggs on that day into the sheet to see if it is within range. Both as a number, and a visual representation.

If it weighs too little add moisture, too much, remove moisture.

You need a scale that can measure to within 0.1 grams like a letter weight. Cheap on eBay or Amazon.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iV199nVAJtomBnGW8UH6NqzNIUCxCN8C

(I think you need a Google account, like from Gmail, to download it)

Here are illustrations, with fictitious numbers plotted.
View attachment 1291609
View attachment 1291610

Back
Top Bottom