Weight of "dressed" meat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PinkBee, Nov 26, 2013.

1. PinkBee

PinkBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    I hope this isn't too stupid a question (actually, I have two stupid questions), but I've been looking and searching and haven't found the right combo of words to bring up an answer, so I thought I'd just ask. My goal at this time is to raise quail for eggs and meat, but I'd like to have some idea what that means as far as meals and cooking/baking go. So...

1) After butchering (the skinning and removing wings and backbone method), how much will a normal sized quail weigh vs a "jumbo" sized quail? (Just for argument's sake, assuming "jumbo" equals a 13-14 oz live weight bird.)

2) If, generally speaking, 5 normal sized quail eggs = 1 lg chicken egg, how many "jumbo" sized eggs = 1 lg chicken egg? (Not the egg in the shell weights, but cooking equivalency.)

At first I thought to do this because chickens aren't allowed where I live, but now, even if I could have chickens, I think I'd go for quail anyway. Just too exciting!

Thank you for any info!

PinkBee

2. freeflyin

freeflyin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I think it takes 5-6 pharoah sized eggs to make one chicken egg. And for jumbo it takes 3-4. I know some jumbo quail eggs average around 14g. It just depends.

Not sure about the meat.

3. PinkBee

PinkBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by