Weird and gross poop question - !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjstanman, Apr 9, 2009.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I've got four 8-month old hens that have been laying pretty steadily since January, no problems. One of my BRs looked like she had a poopy butt one day, and I figured maybe she just had some stick to her, no big deal.

The other day there was a poop as big as an egg with some feathers attached (ouch!). Not to be gross, but I took the shovel and kinda chipped away at it to see if it was poop or an egg. It was poop, no egg, and then there was hard black stuff in there - like so hard I couldn't break it with the shovel.

She appears to be none the worse for wear, and I've had a 4-egg day since then so I know all of their systems are go. Her rear end looks the same now as the others, so I'm assuming that whatever her problem was has come and gone. She's acting just fine, eating and doing normal chicken behavior, but I thought the whole thing was kinda weird.

Anyone seen that before?

P.S. They are in a chicken tractor that's enclosed, so it's not like she ran around the yard and ate something weird. They have grass/dirt, food, water and oyster shells, that's it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. Henny Penny #1

Henny Penny #1 Out Of The Brooder

Sorry I cannot be of help here, but I am really looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it. I am glad to hear that she is doing well now though. [​IMG]

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Ouch! [​IMG]

I'm a nurse, but not a vet. My guess would be that maybe (?) she was impacted. I'm sure she must feel better now, though!

I don't know what to say the black stuff is.

ChickyLaura

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    LOL!

I too am an RN. I was reading this and thought, "Oh, she was probably impacted". Then I thought-"who do you think you are-you are a nurse, not a vet"![​IMG]

(But it sure does sound like she was impacted,huh?!)

Glad she is feeling better!

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Ok it is offical;
    I am chicken crazy. I just posted the poop page to my shortcuts o my 'puter. [​IMG]

(Thanks Chicken Women!!).

6. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] I just had to click... Me and my ooohhhthereisalinkletsclickititus... Interesting link though [​IMG] .

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Henny Penny #1 :

Sorry I cannot be of help here, but I am really looking forward to hearing what others have to say about it. I am glad to hear that she is doing well now though. [​IMG]

Good gracious! How can you eat popcorn at a time like this?? [​IMG]

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Poop page is in my favorites so I will share it whenever someone needs it. ! I know so sweet of me [​IMG]

9. Eureka Jennifer

Eureka Jennifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Eureka, California
    Quote:Guilty....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by