1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allykay219, Nov 23, 2016.

1. allykay219

allykay219 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

So a couple months ago I got some Cochin's from a lady they were rejects from a breeding program. ( I posted about another one that was sick) all were black besides this one. It's back end is just weird so I just wanted to know if any one seen any chickens like this before. I figured it was a rooster. But it sleeps in a tree with my oegb rooster and I've seen him breed with it cpl times lol so idk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    It looks like a hen from here.. A hen with a broken tail?

Does she let you move it? It might be why she's a "reject" from the program; her tail is malformed. That is, if its not broken lol... Has she had droopy tail since you got her? If yes, then I would assume its just a defect. I wouldn't breed her though, just in case her wonky genes get passed on.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Not a Cochin, and she is a hen... closer pic would help, but she really looks like an Araucana with a partial tail...

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could be

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a hen. Looks like mixed breed, not Cochin. Maybe some game in there somewhere, but she seems pretty heavy bodied.

Not sure what's up with that tail. could be an injury, or a deformity. I wouldn't hatch chicks from her, if she's laying.

6. allykay219

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    I tried to get a closer picture but it's raining and she keeps running away. I'll see if I can tomorrow.

I wondered if it was a deformity or something. I don't think she's laying yet unless she has a secret hiding place.

7. allykay219

Mar 13, 2016
    Indiana
    She has been like that since I got her. And I haven't picked her up since I got her. I put the ones I got together in a separate coop after a month or so I started letting them free range and she decided to sleep in a tree and is really skittish. I'm glad she's not a rooster though. I was scared I would have to deal with fighting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by