Weird beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nurschic, Mar 1, 2014.

1. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    I have one chick (I think it's a ee) and she/he has a very weird beak. The top is very curved and only meets the bottom part of the beak at the tip......the rest of the beak doesn't touch. And it looks to be a bit crooked...... It does not seem to bother the chick and it is able to eat without problems, but will this be a problem when it gets older? Has anyone else seen this? Wish I could get a pic of her/him, but it is one of the scared ones that always runs when I put my hand in the brooder.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Look up crossed beak. If it's minor, you can trim it regularly to keep them eating. My experience with my one (EE as well) was it got progressively worse and at about 3 months, she starved to death.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like cross beak.i raised a perfectly healthy chick into adulthood with cross beak. I would trim the upper beak once a month to manage the condition.i also would wet her food into a mash making it easier for her to eat and keep her weight up. She was just like any other chicken and lived a normal life.laid eggs and was fine with just a little extra help from me with the beak trimming and feed. Hope this helps.

4. nurschic

Feb 10, 2014
    I GOT PICTURES!!! She/he is 4 weeks old…..what do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nurschic

Feb 10, 2014
    Should I email the hatchery and let them know too?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, its a little off. It might get more crooked as she grows or it might not.

You can email the hatchery, but they probably won't do anything. In my experience, they're more focused on quantity, not quality.

Good luck with her :)

7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    She should be fine. Trimming will be necessary but it really isn't difficult to do at all. I know a few people who have had chickens with this issue, and said that it wasn't difficult to handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by