Weird Behavior All of the Sudden

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hatchies, Aug 20, 2013.

1. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    My four girls were free range up until a few weeks ago when they got a little too brave and started roaming all over the neighborhood and trying to cross the road. They had always behaved and stayed in the yard, which is rather large, but as soon as we got a cat, it's like they knew something was up and started misbehaving. Sounds strange but I swear it's true! We decided to keep them cooped up and try to get some control back. Not to mention I was sick and tired of finding chicken poop EVERYWHERE!

After about a week of being cooped up 24/7 I decided they could come out for an hour or two before dark each day which has gone great! They stay in the yard and it's gone smoothly. The only thing is all of the sudden within the last week or two (since we have been letting them out again) anytime they see or hear me coming they come RUNNING to me and follow me all around the yard. They don't do this to my husband or kids, just me. This may sound a little weird but it creeps me out. I'm not a chicken lover, although I enjoy my girls from a distance.

Is there any particular reason they would start doing this all of the sudden? It's like they either love me for letting them out and want to be near me or they hate me for cooping them up and want to attack. I haven't figured it out! [​IMG] This also all happens to coincide with the fact that they just started laying. Could that be a factor that plays into it? I'm just curious.

Thank you SOOOO much once again for the help. I love BYC! [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens did the same too! When they were still in their free ranging days on the second year they started crossing the road and roaming farther into other neighbors' yards, so I decided to keep them in a nced enclosure. Are you the only one who gives your chickens food? They may think of you sort of like an icecream truck and come running whenever they hear you. Your hens seem to be pretty tame following you around as if you were part of their flock! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would for sure install a perimeter fence to limit the chickens free range area and where they can poop. It will also serve as a basic barrier to limit easy access for stray dogs or other predators. Birds are smart and know who feeds them and when feeding time comes around. Mine know the daily routine and are lined up at the gate/fence when it is feeding time and see me around.

4. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you! I think you must be right about the ice cream truck! Although my husband does feed them, though not as often, I am the one who always brings them treats like kitchen scraps. No wonder they follow me! I believe this case is closed. [​IMG] Now if I could just get over my fear that they will come too close or attack me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by