weird behavior???Cornish/rock female ? mating my pekin duck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magentamomma, Dec 2, 2009.

1. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    O.K so I took a rockX in as a favor, yes I know I am a sucker. I also toook in a pekin duck. I had been told the rock X was a female, although she has a pronounced comb, but otherwise no more male physical charecteristics. however, she and the duck have bonded, and now she mounts the duck and acts out copulation. So now it is interspeciel same sex union. Anyone have a theory as to why?

2. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Um.... they're very broad-minded fowl? They were hatched on the Left Coast? [​IMG]

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I can always count on BYC for something new...dare I ask for photos? Just of the individual hen in question. [​IMG] Then the experts here can comment on if it is a stealth roo.

4. magentamomma

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    These are Bible belt fowl. It is the strangest thing. I thought I saw her at it but then thought Nahhhh couldn't be, but then I really witnessed the whole act. i have a grandma chicken that occasionally mounts other hens , but this is interspecies weirdness.

5. magentamomma

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    [​IMG]

Not the best image, but she is being seperated from the flock right now. She has no hackle feathers due to being bullied, so that won't help. She is larger than my BO rooster, but she doesn't crow at all.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I love liberal chickens... but i think she's a he.

7. magentamomma

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    i think you might be right. still begs the question: Does the chicken think its a duck or does the duck think its a chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by