1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird Behaviors... should I be concerned??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sacramento, Aug 10, 2013.

1. sacramento

sacramento Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    one of my silkie hens laid 2 eggs today. one of them, she let me have, the other, (after hearing some concerning sounds from her and the roo) she sat on and built a nest around herself. I wasn't sure if she was sitting on an egg at first, so I went and picked it up. After getting some funny looks from her, I slowly put it back, and read up on fertile eggs. So I went back, candled the egg, but I saw nothing, and when i went to put it back, she got up, and walked out and into the coop run. I left the egg there for a couple minutes, and she looked at it, and left again. Then I took the egg inside with me, and when I headed back out, she was looking for it! I retrieved the egg and showed it to her, then she just walked off again! Should I be worried? Or should I be prepared for some fertile eggs? I don't know![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can't tell if a freshly laid egg is fertile by candling it. Depending upon the density of the shell color veining/development may not be evident until 3 to 7 days of incubation. Why would you be worried, and if you have a rooster and he is mating the hens, yes you should be prepared for fertile eggs.

3. sacramento

sacramento Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    Thank you! And im slightly worried because I have 5 other hens,will they bother her?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If and when she goes broody, you will have to manage things so that the other hens can not add eggs to her clutch. Other than that they will not 'bother' her any more than they normally do.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    In my experience a broody silkie is far more likely to bother the other hens than vice versa lol. Ours turns into a cranky little thing and for that little while totally forgets she is the bottom of the pecking order lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by