weird behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chichi56788, Jul 15, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    My 2 2 month old silkies are spending their first night in the coop. When I went out to check on them they were doing the weirdest thing. Poppycock puffed his chest up and pulled his wings back and circled around honeybee. Thin honeybee did the same thing while poppycock was doing it and they circled around each other. After that they both went back to there normal snuggly selves. What was up? Were they fighting?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They were working on the pecking order business. Now in new lodgings, the establishment of the pecking order starts all over again.

3. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Oh. I have never seen them do that before...but maybe that was because Poppycock was at the top.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, when they get new housing, then they will challenge eachother to see who's boss or top dog. Your silkies sound pretty mellow, so maybe that's it....sometimes there is some real fighting, sometimes it's just sort of like they just puff up at eachother--sort of a mock battle.

You've picked really cute names for your silkies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by