weird bone lump on 4 week old hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kgdubois, May 12, 2011.

1. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    i have a one month old EE hen that has what looks like a bone deformity on her neck/spine. it is on the left side, and makes her look like she's shrugging her "shoulders" on the one side. i caught her & checked to make sure it wasn't an abcess or the like when i noticed it, but it is definently bone.

she has always looked a little strange, her legs are also very VERY close together (almost "knock-kneed" looking). i checked her wings, thinking maybe she had broken one & it was sitting strangely, creating the lump, but both wings are fine, she can even fly already.

she does not seem to be in pain (she sqwaked a little when i caught her, but then settled right down) and is eating/drinking just fine. she interacts with the other chicks great, nobody seems to pick on her & she dust bathes, scratches & runs around just like the others.

anyone have any thoughts on this??

thanks in advance!

p.s. i don't have "permission" to post pics yet, but i will as soon as i can.

2. kgdubois

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    hmmm...no one interested in this one?
    [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would just kind of keep an eye on her. I wouldn't use her eggs for hatching, but if she lays eggs and she seems healthy, I'd just let her enjoy being a chicken. [​IMG]

4. kgdubois

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    Thanks! i just wondered if this was a sign of some horrible disease or something [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by