weird broody behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuchickontheblock, Nov 14, 2010.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    One of my hens was in the nest box all day today and wouldn't get out. When I went to lock them in the coop, she was lying flat on her stomach and wouldn't move - I thought she was sick or dead until I picked her up. She was sitting on all the eggs that were laid today, which I removed. She had a glazed over look to her eyes and was kind of unresponsive. Then she came to and ate and drank some water. When we are at work all day this week, I'm not going to be that aware of how she's behaving. What should I do?

2. deniselang

deniselang New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    I have cured my broody hens by removing them from the flock and isolating them for 3-5 days. This is a trance like state and this seems to snap them out of it. Make sure she has plenty of water and feed while seperated.

Good Luck

3. nuchickontheblock

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    we have a cage we can separate her in, but I am concerned because it is getting cool here and we are supposed to have rain for a few days this week. I'm not quite sure where we can put her under cover that would be warm for her. I'll have to think about the logistics. Our only other experience with a broody girl was in the summer and it was easier. [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Give her back the eggs & let her hatch them. She'll take care of 'em.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    we keep a pen for those girls that think that they need to raise every egg laid...couple days usually does the trick...what about using a pet carrier and putting it in a bathroom or mud room or laundry room or...

6. nuchickontheblock

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Thanks for suggestions. I got up early and set up the cage with food, water on a covered section of our porch. Opened up the coop to get her off the nest to put her in the cage, but she hopped right out, gave me a smile and started running around outside and free-ranging. So much for her broody day. . . I fretted a lot for nothing. I did learn about breaking a broody from my reading last night, though. I think I'll leave the cage on the porch. . . I may need it for someone else! A different girl started this morning frantically trying to get under one of our sheds. We blocked up around that foundation during the summer because she was doing the hidden nest thing -- crawling into the tiniest space you can imagine. It's always something . . . good thing we love 'em. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by