Weird broody hen and new mama situation

sashanellie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2015
So I have 2 chicks being raised by their mama who are about 3 weeks old. In the coop are also 2 broody hens on eggs that should be hatching this week. The 3 week old chicks are often found on top of and in the feathers of one of the broody hens, while their mama is off scratching and dust-bathing, and generally abandoning them! This week, the broody hen has been out a LOT more than before, and she is making those clucky mama hen sounds and caring for the other chicks, while she leaves her eggs in the coop. I fear she has become confused and thinks these are her chicks, and doesn't know what to do about the eggs anymore!

Anyone else ever experienced this weird situation? Should I take her eggs and put them under the other broody hen, or just let nature take its course?

You should know that this is "Big Mama Fuzz," a giant splash cochin, with more feathers than any hen I've ever seen, lol. The 3 week old chicks can easily disappear inside her fluffiness.

sashanellie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2015
That's what I was worried about. She's still on the eggs. You can see the situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_093637631.jpg
    IMG_20210706_093637631.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 42

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
I agree that the presence of the chicks may cause her to leave her eggs permanently. I'd either move the chicks or fire up an incubator if I wanted to hatch those eggs.

sashanellie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Well this morning she was in the sun with the chicks so I put her eggs under the other broody mama. It's amazing how some hens are just born to be mothers!

sashanellie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Update. She was off them again, caring for the older ones. Do I moved her eggs under the other sitting hen. Today 4 chicks have hatched so far. Fuzz sat near them and clucked until one burrowed under her. So I separated her from the new ones. She just seems to love all chicks!

Top Bottom