1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird bubble thing on 5 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tanner17567, May 21, 2016.

1. tanner17567

tanner17567 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    Montpelier, Va
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! I just noticed this strange bubble thing on my chick this afternoon. I thought it was just his crop (and may be just that) but was alarmed by the loss of fluff feathers. It's all missing in this patch and I can see what appears to be a fluid-filled bubble. Is this just a normal, full crop? Or am I looking at something more serious?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. MultipleAnimals

MultipleAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2016
    Texas
    I don't know what to tell you, I am currently having the same problem with my 20 something day old chicks, Sorry I was not of help

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The crop is located on the chest wall of chicks, toward the right side. That "bubble" appears to be on the back, correct?

I have never seen such a thing, but I wonder if it could be a result of something that irritated that spot when the chick was hatching. If that's what caused it, then the chick's body should absorb the fluid over the next week and it should disappear. The down should then come together and fill in that space.

If your chick is eating, drinking, and pooping normally, growing as fast as the others, I would just keep an eye on it and not do anything else, other than to protect this chick from getting the bubble pecked by other chicks.

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'm 99% certain that it is just a distended crop...you'll be able to tell for sure in the morning if it's pretty much gone. Some of my chicks get this very same "bubble" when they've been greedy. The reason it looks so weird is that the distension has exposed one of the featherless tracts (technical name = apteria) that the down normally shields from view.

1 person likes this.
  5. tanner17567

tanner17567 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    Montpelier, Va
    My Coop
    The bubble is kinda on his side, next to the crop, but it does look like his back from that angle (trying to take a picture and he was turning his head). It went down considerably the next day and is still acting completely normal and healthy. Honestly, it was the missing down that had me most concerned, but now I know that is normal too. Thanks so much everyone!!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Take away the food tonight and check it in the morning. That will tell the tale re: crop or not the crop!

7. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yes! My 5 day old chick has the same thing! It looks like it is back by his shoulder. I will check again today to see if it has gone down, I was worried it was an infection.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by