Weird Bump on ankle area and sits/lays down alot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CyborgChickens, Apr 21, 2016.

1. CyborgChickens

CyborgChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Wisconsin
    From the title you already know what this thread is about but i'm going to say it again anyway. This Morning i noticed that one of my chickens, Pigeon , wasn't really actiing, well , chicken-y ( if that's not a word I'm sorry). She was laying/sitting down by the water bowl not really looking happy or interested in anything. When I started petting her I decided to look at her feet or to see if there was any bleeding on or around her belly. There was no bleeding but I did notice a sphereical "blob" on her foot. I didn't know what to do so that is why I am here now. Also when I was taking pictures she pooped and I noticed her poop didn't look like chicken poop usually looks like(I never thought I would EVER compare chicken poop). Please help!! ps I think it may be mites or something. A life hangs in the balance![​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    See here, she got tired and sat right after i took the picture before this one (above)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    she is fine that bump is her spur bump some hens have them some fully grow their spurs and some on't even have the bump, she was probably just being lazy, and that is a really fuzzy picture of poop but it looks like a normal watery poop, sometimes they are a little liquidy, if it persists I would be worried but all look normal.

3. CyborgChickens

CyborgChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Pigeon died and now another one is acting the same way. I must know what this is and how to fight it and prevent it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take in a few of her droppings to be checked checked by your local vet for coccidiosis and worms. Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks disease,coccidiosis, dehydration can all cause imbalance, weakness, and lethargy. Runny or bloody droppings, and standing hunched or puffed up may point to cocci. If she should not make it, send in her refrigerated body to the state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Coccidiosis is treated with Corid in case the symptoms sound familiar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by