Weird bump on Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Apr 22, 2009.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    For the last 3 days, one of my white Lethorns has been having something unusual with her eggs. On the side of the egg, there's a slightly raised bump. It's about the size of a dime, and it's slightly gray instead of being pure white like the rest of the egg. It's not hugely raised but you can easily see and feel it. One of the eggs like this also had a hole right there - the center of the bump had fallen in. I cracked that egg and it looked totally normal. This hen has been laying since last October.

Any idea what this is or what causes it? The girls are on layer pellets, they have oyster shell and they get Avia 2000 Charge vitamins in their water at least once a week.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It's probably just rough calcium deposits. I don't think you should worry.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. BawkinOnTheBench

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I thought calcioum deposits just looked and felt like sandpaper? I'm familiar with that; this is different. I couldn't find anything in that egg guide that looked like what I'm describing. Maybe a body check - but it doesn't look much like their picture.

The egg yesterday was normal - so maybe it's going away.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have the egg so you can post a picture?

6. BawkinOnTheBench

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    OK, here's a pic. The intact egg is hard to see - but just like the one with the hole, there's a gray spot on that side of the egg and the shell is thin and weak at ONLY that point. I've eaten 2 of them and they are otherwise OK.

[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would say just a kink in the egg laying dept. I have a hen that will lay an egg like that on occasion, only the soft spot/raised bump is on the end of the egg.
    If it doesn't continue or only happens infrequently I wouldn't be too worried.

8. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:i agree completely, have a hen that does the same

9. BawkinOnTheBench

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Well, it's been happening almost every day now, since I started this post. During this time this hen has had 1 normal egg and 1 skipped day, and every other egg has this flaw. 3 of them have actually broken - luckily they don't break all the way through, just the weak spot in the center has fallen in, like the right egg in the pic. Even the eggs that are intact I haven't been selling, just because they don't look quite right, so I just keep them for family use.

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have a hen who lays the worst eggs ever. I don't even eat them. They have numerous bumps and lumps and weak spots which seem to change location every so often. The yolks and whites are one big runny mess. They would never hatch. I call them DDT eggs. Other than that, she's healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by