Weird 'chest raising' movement while eating.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Champy89, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Champy89

Champy89 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Queensland
    I took a video of it, but it's taking a while to transfer over...will post it up later.

I don't think it's much to worry about, because the pullet in question (5 week old Wyandotte) is acting otherwise completely normally. Doesn't have trouble standing, walking or roosting, eats and drinks all regularly and her poops all look completely normal and she even runs around, as if she's playing with her "sister". I'm more curious than anything about this behaviour, really, because I've never seen my other three chickens do it.

She'll be pecking at the grass and occasionally, she'll stop and kind of...lift herself further away from the ground than usual and her wings will drop slightly - as if she's trying to stretch her chest out. Has anybody else noticed their chickens doing something similar? Does this have a specific purpose?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is kind of like burping in that bird is redistributing mass in crop so it can consume more. Difference no actual belching as far as I can tell. It is particularly prevalent when eating large amounts of dry food rapidly.

3. Champy89

Champy89 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Here's the video, she does it around 5 seconds, 11 seconds, and 17 seconds:

[​IMG]

But that would make sense! I've just never seen my others do it, so was incredibly curious when I caught this one doing it. [​IMG]

4. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I can't see your video but by your description, I'm pretty sure my chickens are doing the same and I still haven't figured out what it is. The only difference is that they don't do it during the day, only at night on the roost. Did you find out what this was?

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Most times mines do to swallow their food easier.

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I understand more now that I actually red it.are both wings dropping?And when does she do this?
    I'm thinking she's doing her "chicken" wing.
    It's basically how both genders show who boss,and if they wanna fight.Escpecially picking at the ground.She pecks at the grass ETC.Yeah she may is trying to get the others attention to fight her.
    The only difference between roo and hen,is the rooster drop the wing then hurdle the around the hens as if they were directing them or hundling them together.
    Nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by