Weird chick - supposed to be a Spitz - breeder says Serama? Help me ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chics in the sun, Jul 12, 2011.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I got several types of eggs from a breeder, but I swear this chick hatched from one of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben eggs. I had Serama eggs in there, but they didn't hatch. It is much smaller than all it's hatchmates, and although I'm pretty sure it's a roo, it has no comb. None. Not even a pea comb. I'm stumped - any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA - It is seven weeks old this week.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Looks like a girl

sure is pretty [​IMG]

3. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    It's hard to see in the pic, but it's got some saddle feathers coming in (I think). Anyone with any idea on breed? I have never seen one with no comb at all.....

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's a little female Serama alright. From her coloring she might turn out to be a blue splash. What a cutie!

5. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Thank you! I should post a picture of her next to the others. She isn't super small, just smaller. And I SWEAR it was a normal sized white egg she came out of.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I say post a pic...just so I could see the others lol.....is this the one you mentioned to me before?

7. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Quote:No, that one is this mystery chick:

[​IMG]

I think we have decided to keep both Jersey Giant pullets, and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this mystery one, too. It was supposed to be a Sumatra, but the vote on the Sumatra thread is that it's not even close.[​IMG] I'd love for her to go to someone I know so I can see how she feather's out. She has a little tiny crest forming, and such pretty coloring.

8. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    that one looks like my creme brabanters - they do occasionally appear without crests and beards (but my one "without a crest" still has a small wanna be crest lol)
    [​IMG]

9. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Oh wow - that does look like the 'not-a-Sumatra' chick, minus the beard!

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If it's any consolation, I recently hatched out two "purebred silkies" from a local breeder that are obviously buff orpington X silkie...I know that is the cross because he had both breeds and these have pink skin and no crests...but they do possess 5 toes per foot...but are buff when his silkies were all white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by