Weird chick toes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kessel23, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    One of the chicks I hatched has really weird toes, the two outer toes curl inward when he stands, runs, sits or does anything. I don't think he has any control over them. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My rooster has a big ole curly toe, too. He was hatched that way and there are many theories as to why this happens. Genetics, hatching techniques have been blamed for this. Chickens, unlike parrots, don't grip with their toes. Chickens evolved to be ground dwellers-that is they spend most of their life on the ground eating, drinking, mating, raising their young and so forth. Roosting at night is a survival behavior designed to keep them from getting eaten at night. Even while roosting, chickens don't bend their toes to grip their perch. They spend the night with hocks locked in place while they somehow balance while sleeping with one eye open. Those toes are designed to be rakes that spend lots of time scratching the ground in the search for food.

From what I see in the picture, everything else appears to be in good shape. The only thing you have to worry about is the toenail growing at a funky angle and you might need to trim it every so often. While this is an unsightly defect, your chicken will be able to live a normal life.

Kessel23 and puffypoo22 like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I never concern myself with weird toes..As long as it can run around it will be fine..

Kessel23 likes this.
  4. Chicken "breeders" as opposed to hatcheries cull all crooked toe chicks. Crooked toes is a fault and chicken BREEDERS are only concerned with the appearance of their fowl and all other issues, especially practical issues are never considered like they are by hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: